In 2020, the Omolon Party of the Northeast Sector of the Department of Regional Geology and Mineral Resources of Eastern Regions of Russia, FGBU VSEGEI, carried out field studies on Sheet Q-57 at a scale of 1:1,000,000. Main geological tasks correspond to the approved Terms of Reference for Target No 41914000 Creation of a Set of 1:1M State Geological Map, Sheet Q-57 under the task Creation of Sets of the 1:1M State Geological Map for a group of sheets of the Russian Federation in 2019-2021.
The Omolon party consisted of 6 people: A.V. Gavrish (head of the party), E.A. Brusnitsyna (chief geologist), I.V.Sendersky, I.I. Malievsky (chiefs of teams), A.L. Mazur (worker). The work was carried out while rafting along the Korkodon River from the mouth of the Pravaya Burgali River to the mouth of the Korkodon River, then along the Kolyma River to the village of Zyryanka. Along the banks of the Korkodon River and at a distance up to 10-20 km from the river and along the tributaries of the Burgagchan, Dzhugadzhak, Koltsevaya, Elgakhchan rivers, studies were conducted along geological routes with sampling for various types of analysis.
Major goals of the studies:
1. Clarification of geology of some areas including:
- age, composition and tectonic position of Late Archean-Early Proterozoic metamorphic formations in the Abkitsky and Khebikendzhinsky scarps, the Omolon-Taiganos District, in the Rassoshinsky-Avekovsky structural-facies zone (SFZ) (Korkodon), (South Abkistky and Khebikendzhinsky prospects);
- granite age, composition, boundaries and areas of occurrence in the Abkitsky plutonic complex within the Omolon structural-facies district (SFD) (South Abkitsky and North Abkitsky rospects);
2. Clarification of geology of some areas including:
- age sequence, petrological composition, structural and facies features of volcanic rock of the Middle Paleozoic Kedonian Group and subvolcanic bodies of the Kedonian volcanic complex of the Yukagir SFZ (South Abkitsky and Khebikendzhinsky prospects);
- age, boundaries and areas of occurrence of Permian deposits in accordance with the current three-membered division of systems; the ratio of local stratigraphic subdivisions of the Permian system with taxonomic units of the regional and general stratigraphic scales on the boundary between the Omolon SFD and the Oloi SFD (Prospect 1);
- age, composition, genesis, distribution and relationships of Cenozoic formations (South Abkitsky, North Abkitsky and Khebikendzhinsky prospects);
3. Clarification and identification of new patterns of distribution of mineral deposits, criteria for their forecasting with the identification of promising areas in the rank of metallogenic zones, ore districts, ore clusters, oil and gas districts and areas with the assessment of inferred resources (for oil and combustible gases – forecast resources):
- ore-controlling factors of gold-silver mineralization within the Omolon metallogenic zone.
As a result of the work, more than 200 km of geological routes along pre-Quaternary formations were passed with special-purpose geological studies in reference sections at a depth of 3400 m, including geological routes across Quaternary formations at a distance of about 90 km, and special-purpose geological studies were carried out in reference sections across Quaternary formations at a depth of 89 m. A promising area was identified based on the results of this work.
Transport equipment of the Omolon Party